THE JOHANNESBURG DECLARATION
LIBERAL DEMOCRACY IN AFRICA
Liberal Democratic parties exist to ensure the freedom and dignity of all people through;
- Establishing political and civil rights, ensuring basic freedoms.
- The rule of law.
- Democratic government, based on free and fair elections with peaceful transition.
- Ensuring religious, gender and minority rights.
- Fighting corruption.
- Establishing free market economies.
THE AFRICA LIBERAL NETWORK, WITH THE CO-OPERATION OF LIBERAL INTERNATIONAL, EXISTS TO;
Facilitate the development and growth of Liberal Democratic parties in all African countries. Encourage solidarity among member parties with the aim of assisting them to achieve power through democratic means; the creation of a Liberal Democratic Africa.
THE AFRICA LIBERAL NETWORK WILL;
1. Establish an alliance of like-minded Liberal Democratic parties in Africa for the sharing of information, experiences, skills and ideas.
2. Assist member parties to promote Liberal Democracy within their own countries and throughout Africa by providing support (either through reciprocal/ bilateral means or from donor institutes) in the areas of:
- Election support- exchange visits, support through capacity building, identification of campaign issues, and the sharing of physical, financial and human resources.
- Supporting parties in difficulty, rapidly and appropriately.
- Policy development / details.
- Party organisation and development, creation of mass membership and support.
- Civic awareness, voter education and registration.
- Media, press and lobbying, training, joint statements to international press.
- Training, training the trainers.
- Meetings of the network, regional meetings.
- Networking between liberal women, youth and local representatives.
- Establishing information exchange through a website, newsletter, (e-mail) bulletin.
- Communication among and between African parties.
- Co-ordination with other institutes.
- Lobbying and project bids.
3. Seek to expand membership of the network, by existing members supporting inclusion of like-minded parties from their regions who aspire to the terms of the Johannesburg Declaration and are accepted by a majority of existing members.