The ALN’s Executive Committee is comprised of the President, Deputy President, a Treasurer and five Vice Presidents, from each region of Africa.
About the President
Stevens Mokgalapa was elected President of the Africa Liberal Network at the 13th General Assembly in Nairobi, Kenya during 22 – 25 March 2017. He is a former Member of South Africa’s National Assembly Parliament, delegated by the official opposition, the Democratic Alliance (DA) and the former Shadow Minister of International Relations and Co-operation in South Africa. At present, Stevens is the Executive Mayor of the capital city Tshwane (Pretoria). The DA is the South Africa’s largest opposition party and has been a member party of the ALN for many years.
Before being elected as the President of ALN, he served as the vice-president for Southern Africa in between his various positions in local and national politics in South Africa. He has a five-point plan for the ALN:
- Ensuring financial sustainability of the network
- Providing support for member parties through the provision of workshops, training and information material
- Arranging that the network undertake election support of member parties
- Elevating the network’s voice in other liberal organisations, such as Liberal International, Liberal International Human Rights Committee and the UN Human Rights Council
- Growing the network and promoting liberal values on the African continent